TGO Challenge 2014 Day 1

Strathcarron to Loch Monar

Friday 9th May

Start 9:50, finish 5:30. 18.7km

Day 1

The day didn’t look too promising when I looked out the window of the hotel room. It had rained overnight and there were ribbons of cloud along the hills on either side of the loch. However, the forecast suggested that it might brighten later on.

At breakfast, several other Challengers were already protein and carbo loading for the day ahead. After breakfast, Ian Sommerville, John Sanderson and I decided to wander down the road to dip our toes in the sea to ensure that our crossings would be absolutely coast to coast.

IMG_0935A foot in the water

It was quite muggy outside. We bimbled down to a point where we judged the loch to be tidal. To get to the shore, we had to cross a barbed wire fence and the railway line. On the other side, the seaweed confirmed that we had reached salt water.

Photos were duly taken and we walked back to the hotel, discussing the plans for our crossings. John was heading in a more southeasterly direction than Ian and I. Ian was going to visit Maol-bhuidhe bothy. My route was more northerly to Loch Monar.

IMG_0938Looking east from Loch Carron

Back at the hotel we separated and I went upstairs to pack my rucksack. As I result, I was a bit later leaving than I had intended. I signed out and I was on my way. As I was leaving I spoke to Denis Pidgeon, who kindly took a picture of me in front of the hotel.

DSC01313Outside the Strathcarron Hotel

It was a short walk down the road and then I took the path south eastwards from Achintee. Signposts meant I couldn’t take the wrong track. It started to spot with light rain, so waterproofs were donned. Although it was wet underfoot, the path was good.

DSC01316A last look at Strathcarron

After a short uphill pull, I passed Creag Dhudh Bheag and Strathcarron disappeared from view. The surroundings were bleak, with low dark clouds scudding overhead. The first way-point was Loch an Fheoir. I was soon past the lochan and I spotted a couple of walkers ahead.

I caught up with David Creighton and Andrea Carrington not long afterwards. They removing their waterproofs as it had stopped raining. We had a brief chat and then I pressed on. In the improving weather, I started to enjoy the walk and become more comfortable. The navigation was easy and I could relax a bit.

DSC01320Loch an Fheoir

The next obvious landmark was Lochan Fuara. I spied two more figures in the distance, only this time they were coming towards me. They turned out to be two lads who were having a wander round the area. They had stayed the previous night in Maol-bhuidhe bothy. One of them had a fishing rod. He had only caught some small trout that he had thrown back. After a brief chat, we parted.

DSC01324Lochan Fuara

Beyond the lochan I reached the Bealach Alltan Ruaridh and caught the first view of Bendronaig Lodge, my intended lunch stop. The path down was steep in places and wet underfoot, so I picked my way down carefully. I spotted another figure in the glen below.

DSC01326Beinn Dronaig

By now, the cloud was beginning to break and some blue sky appeared. The view down the Uisge Dubh was enticing. It looked as though there are some good camping spots along the river, but it was much too soon for me consider stopping.

I was now on a proper track, so I was making good progress. At the bridge, I took a few photos. A little way further on, I caught up with the figure I had spotted earlier, Cathy Cain. She was going quite slowly, so after a brief chat, I left her behind and motored on to Bendronaig Lodge.

DSC01338Bendronaig Lodge looking north

By now the sun was shining and it was warm. At the lodge, I found Ian who had arrived a bit earlier. It was a good time to stop for lunch. Not long after, Cathy arrived. While the lodge is very pleasant, it was a bit cool inside. Ian left quite quickly, while Cathy and I had a chat over lunch.

I didn’t want to dally too long as I knew I had a rough climb ahead of me. Leaving Bendronaig, it seemed that the clouds were thickening and the wind getting stronger.

DSC01345Near Loch an Laoigh looking south, rain clouds

The next target was Loch an Laoigh. I negotiated the wobbly bridge with no alarms and followed the LRT north. All the time the clouds were thickening behind me. By the time I reached the burn that I needed to follow to get to the Bealach an Sgoltaidh, it was spotting with rain again.

Rather than pick a way across the burn, I put on my waders to cross over. On the other side, I put on my overtrousers. The climb up to the bealach was slow and wet. I zigzagged to avoid the worst of the bog. Fortunately, it wasn’t raining hard and the wind was at my back. Nevertheless, it was slow, sweaty work.

DSC01352Loch an Laoigh

Gaining height, a path appeared intermittently. Higher up, the way became more rocky. I wasn’t pressed for time, so I took care on the wet, occasionally slippery rocks. Looking back, the weather coming in didn’t look very inviting. On my left the tremendous rock terraces of Bidein a’ Choire Sheasgaich (or Cheesecake as it is colloquially known) drifted in and out of view as the clouds gathered and dissipated.

DSC01355Bidein a’ Choire Sheasgaich

After an hour or so, I reached the wall that marked the top of the col. I was wearing my Paramo Vasco jacket. Unfortunately, I had washed, but not proofed it before leaving. In the rain, some patches of the jacket had wetted out. Lesson number one: if you take Paramo, make sure it is properly proofed! As far as I could see, the water wasn’t leaking through.

DSC01357Stone wall at the col

As I descended towards Loch Monar, the weather relented and it stopped raining. Initially I followed the path on the southern side of the burn. However, mindful that I needed to be on the northern side of the loch, I soon crossed over to the northern bank.

DSC01359Down to Loch Monar

The way down was largely pathless, so it was slow going, descending and contouring. It was very wet underfoot, but my boots kept all this at bay and provided a reassuring grip.

DSC01364Rainbow above Loch Monar

Just as Loch Monar came into view, I was treated to a rainbow. The clouds seemed to be breaking somewhat as well, which cheered me up. As I got closer to the loch, I started to look around for a suitable place to camp.

DSC01370Loch Monar

The river banks weren’t very promising. Indeed several stretches were quite boggy. Just as I began to worry that I might have to go on further, I spied a large island where the river bifurcated. Part of the bank had collapsed providing a convenient way to cross.

DSC01367Lurg Mhor

The island itself seemed well drained and was well above the river level. There seemed to be minimal chance of flooding. I’m quite cautious about islands as it is easy to get stranded. However, there were two possible escape routes on the south bank and further upstream, where the river widened.


Camp at Loch Monar

The brief window of clearer weather seemed to be disappearing so I hastily erected the Scarp. As I was collecting my water, it started to spot with rain again. I got into the tent and it started to rain more heavily. Good timing.

My gear was damp rather than wet, so unpacking wasn’t too much of a trial. Outside the rain pitter pattered on the fly sheet. It proved to be quite a short shower and I was able to go outside and take a few photos.

IMG_0940Loch Monar

It was time for some food. After eating I went out for a bit of a potter around and to have a wash. I was quite pleased with my island kingdom. Despite slightly lumpy ground, it was relatively firm and dry.

After a while I settled down to write a few trip notes. I was struck by the solitude of my camp. It felt slightly overwhelming. I felt somewhat apprehensive about what I’d let myself in for.

Would I be up to making it across? Logically, I was more than capable. I had done the training and had the right gear. I tried to put the fears to the back of my mind, but there was always that nagging doubt. Take it a day at a time and don’t look too far ahead I told myself. The rain returned and I drifted off to sleep.

11 thoughts on “TGO Challenge 2014 Day 1”

  1. Nice an remote there Robin. The scale of Scotland is hard to grasp sometimes. But it’s so wonderful at the same time. I do like the way you went – wild and off path.

  2. Ah yes, a purists start from Strathcarron. After the slight wetting in the seaweed I don’t think my boots dried at all for the next four days ! Was a strange start, the three of us wandering down to the sea after breakfast, and then setting off in completely different directions within hours.

      1. I actually finished more than 2 days ahead of plan due to the good weather and fitness, which threw my home travel plans a bit. Caught sight of you heading for !st Class at Montrose Station as I headed for cattle class. Glad to hear you made it across without incident this year.

      2. It was an almost perfect crossing 🙂 I could have finished a day early but decided not to.

  3. Monar is wonderful. I wish i could have stayed for a 1/2 day to explore a bit. Is that the Mont Bell windshirt in the pic?

    1. It’s a fantastic area. Well worth a bit more time. The blue jacket is the Paramo Vasco. My Mont-Bell Dynamo is black, which I used on the Challenge as well.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.