TGO Challenge 2014 Day 2

Loch Monar to Allt Uchd Rodha

Saturday 10th May

Start 8:30, finish 4:30, 21km

Day 2

I woke at first light (c. 4 am) to the soft pitter patter of rain. Not so good! I endeavoured to get some more sleep, but gave up after a while. When I popped outside, the rain had lessened to a heavy drizzle and the surrounding hills were shrouded in mist.

After breakfast, I packed under the shelter of the tent. The rain had become a bit more persistent by then. The wind had swung round and was now blowing from the far end of the loch and would be in my face. I decided this would be a hard shell occasion rather than wearing Paramo.


Packed and ready to go

By 8:30 I was ready to go. The wet weather meant I used my iPhone in its waterproof case, rather than risk my conventional camera, hence the lower quality pictures. The first task was to cross the river via the pieces of collapsed bank. Thankfully, the water level hadn’t risen overnight.

IMG_0943Hop, skip and a jump

I followed the river for a while and then cut across the marshy ground to the shore of the loch. I girded my loins for a wet few hours. I had been warned that it would be a rough and wet walk. In fact, I had joked with Alan Sloman about walking down Loch Monar with the wind driving rain into my face. Now I was about to experience the reality!

IMG_0945Loch Monar

What appears to be a track from afar is more like a long sheep scar, probably caused by soil creep. However, I was delighted to find a quad bike track complete with parked quad bike. I didn’t use the bike, you’ll be pleased to hear.

The track lasted for about a mile before it disappeared. It was better than nothing, but only marginally. The conditions underfoot were, ahem, wet. At least it wasn’t raining too hard. Progress was slow but not too arduous.

IMG_0951Loch Monar (looking west)

In some places tree roots had been exposed in the bare peat. I had been warned that stream crossings could be an issue but found no difficulties here. After another mile or so I reached a large sheepfold. It looked reasonable as a place to camp, although Andy Howell reckoned it had ticks, when I mentioned it to him.

IMG_0952Loch Monar sheepfold

It had taken me just under one and half hours to get this far. I wasn’t overly concerned as I had plenty of time. The next mile or from Allt Coire Shaile was quite rough, often necessitating walking along the rocky shoreline.

DSC01376Loch Monar (looking west)

At one point I stopped for a bite to eat, sheltering behind a small rise. There was an odd smell in the air. When I rounded the hillock, there were two rotting deer carcasses beside some boulders. Delightful!

DSC01377Looking towards Pait Lodge

Above the shoreline, there were drifts of wood. Presumably these came from the trees that were on the glen floor before it was flooded. This and a tide line of dead grass suggested that the loch waterline had been considerably higher at one time.


By now, the rain had stopped, although there was still a stiff breeze blowing from the east. The cloud base was also lifting. Perhaps the weather would improve.

DSC01381Pait Lodge from Allt an Longairt

Crossing the streams that flow out of Loch Mhuilich was a bit complicated. There is a bridge, but I crossed lower down. As long as you choose carefully, it’s not a big problem.

From here a path is marked on the map. At first, I didn’t find it. After a few hundred metres, I struck uphill and managed to locate it.

DSC01384The elusive path

This made the going a lot easier. It was still very wet underfoot, but at least it was less boggy. Soon I was catching glimpses of the end of the loch, which encouraged me.

DSC01387Allt a’ Choire Fionnarach

I plugged on until I reached the Allt a’ Choire Fionnarach. I lost the track down to the bridge and had to negotiate a boggy stretch of ground. The good news was that my boots were keeping my feet dry. The bad news was that I had an ominous ache in the arch of my left foot.

Just after the bridge, I decided to stop for lunch. I had a look at the sheepfold, but it didn’t look very promising so I selected a rock by the path junction to perch on. Another Challenger (Byron Davies?) came past. By now it was raining again. He decided to push on, while I had a quick bite to eat, sheltering under my umbrella.

DSC01391Looking west

The rain didn’t last long, but the wind meant I didn’t hang around. The path from here improves dramatically, becoming much more defined and properly graded. There was a little bit of up and down to cross the burns. Below the path, the shoreline was littered with piles of driftwood.

DSC01393Eastern end of Loch Monar

The last section of path goes through a delightful small ravine. It then emerges just before Monar Lodge. The lodge seems to be undergoing some extensive renovations. It is in a beautiful position, looking down the loch.

DSC01398The ravine

A little way beyond the lodge, there is a stand of pine trees. By now, there seemed to be less prospect of rain. In the shelter of the trees, I took off my waterproofs and changed into a wind shell. Disconcertingly, there were some midges flying around, but there was enough breeze to stop them bothering me.

DSC01402The dam

The road leads to the dam. There was no water coming from the foot of the dam. Indeed the water level of the loch looked a bit low. Coming out of the shelter of Meal an Tairbh, I was once again walking into the full force of the wind.


After the boggy paths of the morning, a bit of road walking was welcome. The gorge of the Garbh-uisge is quite attractive, but there wasn’t much water running in it, deprived of the flow from Loch Monar.

DSC01406Spot the Scarp

The road led downhill, so I made rapid progress. A little further on the glen broadened out and I could see an extensive patch of grass by the river. Someone (possibly a Challenger) had pitched a Scarp. It was a long way away, but the owner and I exchanged waves.

DSC01410Braulen Lodge

It was too early to stop. Passing the house before Braulen Lodge, a couple of dogs in their pens barked madly as I walked by. The lodge itself seemed to be closed, with curtains and blinds drawn.

DSC01412Glen Strathfarrar

By now I was starting to think about camping. Bert, my vetter had indicated that there was a good spot by the bridge that crosses the Allt Uchd Rodha.

I couldn’t see the actual spot as I approached it, as it is hidden behind a small hill. As I rounded the corner, I found it. Perfect, and no-one was camped there. Just at that moment, there was a tremendous roar behind me and three single propeller planes skimmed overhead.


I camped at the far end of the green ride, figuring it would be slightly more secluded. After erecting the tent, I collected some water. It started to spot with rain. As I got in the tent, it started raining harder. Perfect timing.

DSC01415Not bad!

I had a meal and wrote up my trip diary. After a couple of hours, the rain stopped and I popped my head out of the tent door. Two more tents had appeared nearer to the road. There were no signs of life, so introductions would have to wait until tomorrow.

DSC01416Home from home

Despite the weather and the ground conditions, I really enjoyed the walk along Loch Monar. It was slow going to start with, but not too arduous. After the first section, the paths were reasonable. The only fly in the ointment was the pain in my left foot. I gave it a good massage and hoped that it wouldn’t develop into anything worse.


12 thoughts on “TGO Challenge 2014 Day 2”

  1. Great stuff, Robin. Looking forward to the next instalment.
    I camped in almost exactly the same spot last year. I also saw those planes, but in Glen Dessarry.

  2. Looked like an OK day.
    The West end of Monar is a bit of a big trot.
    I remember the rest well, having come down from Torridon. I camped where the main river joins the loch. Then went over the bridge just up from where your map ends, and down to Cannich .
    Some of this may well be my route next year if I do my planned Torridon start

  3. Another great day Robin..I used much of your route for a winter crossing many years ago. Did you see lots of deer in Strathfarrar? There always seems to be dozens of them whenever I’ve been there.

  4. We saw the same planes that day in Glen Shiel. They were Yaks apparently and must have been doing a spectacular trip through many glens.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.