Backpacking is a very personal thing. What’s suits me won’t necessarily suit you. This is especially true when it comes to shelters. Personally, I’m not a great fan of sleeping in single skin shelters or ones with mesh inners. Over the years, I’ve come to realise that I prefer double skin shelters with solid inners.
With the Tramplite shelter, I also realised that I prefer shelters which are relatively enclosed. The porch on the Tramplite has a large gap between the beak and the ground. While I understand the reason for this and the personal preference of the maker, Colin, I wanted to modify mine.
I asked Marco at As Tucas to make some removable valances for the porch. These are simple elongated triangles of cuben which are attached to the fly sheet by Velcro. I added a snap fastener at the zip end to make sure they stayed attached. Originally they had simple shock cord ties outs (shown in the pictures) but I’ve replaced those with lineloks and shock cord.
They reduce the gap from the hem to the ground from about 35cm to 20cm. If I was re-specifying them, I think I’d add another 10cms to the valance. Nevertheless, they do drop the hem of the Tramplite to a level I feel more comfortable with. I know that this doesn’t meet with the approval of some, but it’s what I want and that’s what counts. Because they are removable, if I want more ventilation, I can just take them off. The extra weight is approximately 45g.
Perhaps less controversially, I also made a A frame adaptor for my trekking poles. I will do a seperate post on how I made it. It’s very easy and effective (weight 71g). Setting up the A frame is simple and it’s actually easier to setup the Tramplite with it. Micro adjustment once it’s set up is also easier.
I was stunned at how stable and strong the A frame is. It is rock solid with the only movement being backwards and forwards along the line of the front guy. Any other direction and it’s totally solid. This means there’s a lot less strain on the corner pegging points.