Dartmoor daunder part 2

DSC01277View from my bedroom

Well, the rain started late evening. By this time it was quite windy, despite being in a sheltered spot. The rain was decidedly heavy, but at least the Trailstar was pitched tail into the wind, so it wasn’t too much bother. A few drops did get through the seam seal onto the OookStar nest, but nothing to worry about. By early morning the rain had ceased. However, as I prepared breakfast there was another prolonged, heavy shower, which meant I was a bit late packing.

DSC01284View to Sittaford Tor

Not surprisingly, the path to Teign Head Farm was awash after the heavy overnight rain. Initially, I thought the weather was clearing, but there was another squally shower on the way down to the farm. I was only wearing a wind shirt, so it was back on with the waterproof top.

DSC01287Teign Head Farm

As I descended the slope I spotted four groups of backpackers, all going in different directions. I guessed these were youngsters training for the Ten Tors event. The path to the clapper bridge was partially flooded, so I had to make some minor detours.

DSC01289Manga Hill

I followed the track on the northern side of Manga Brook, which was easy, but waterlogged. I passed another couple of groups of Ten Tors hopefuls, exchanging greetings with those that looked up. By this time, it was very windy with light rain. As it was at my back, I wasn’t too bothered.

DSC01290Gidleigh Common

I climbed the stile over the dry stone wall, when I noticed that my backside was a bit wet. My Montane Atomic overtrousers had failed. Bother, I should have brought my Drilliums. Oh, well, it was a relatively minor inconvenience. The path followed the wall until a few hundred metres from Watern Tor.

DSC01293Watern Tor

At Watern Tor I met several other groups of Ten Tors trainers, some looked cheerful, others miserable. By now the wind strengthened further, so I decided to shelter behind one of the tors and have an early lunch. It was a wise decision as another squally shower passed over head, but I was sheltered under an overhang of rock.

DSC01295Walla Brook

Even sheltered behind the tor, it was a bit chilly to hang around too long. So I headed down the northern slope of Watern Tor. When I reached the ford at Walla Brook, the water looked a bit high, so I backtracked upstream to where I knew I could cross. I arrived just as another group were jumping across the brook. I followed behind them, managing to avoid the embarrassment of  falling in the water.

DSC01296Below Wild Tor

Rather than ascend Wild Tor, I followed the track on its eastern flank, past Gallaven Mire to Hound Tor. At least it wasn’t raining, although the clouds continued to threaten.

DSC01298Looking NW from below Hound Tor

At Hound Tor, there were another set of Ten Tors marshals and trainees. I followed the path to Little Hound Tor and then down into the valley of Small Brook. Along the way, I met a couple of backpackers who were going in the opposite direction. They were hoping to camp somewhere south of Fernworthy Forest.

DSC01301Small Brook

After about half a kilometre, I spotted the flat area by the ford, that I had noted on the previous day as a potential camping spot. Reasoning that it might be slightly more sheltered in the lee of Metheral Hill, I left to path to investigate. There was quite a nice patch in the small ravine cut by the brook, but I was concerned that heavy rain might lead to flooding.

DSC01305Camp at Small Brook

Although the area above the ford, sloped, a bit of judicious angling negated most of the slope. As I unpacked the Trailstar, it started to rain. With the wind and the rain, this was a good opportunity to practice erecting the Trailstar in adverse conditions. In the end, it was relatively easy. I dived under cover and put up the OookStar. The rain and wind was ferocious for the next three hours, so there was nothing to do but have some tea and gaze out of the door, sparing a thought for the poor wretches out in this downpour.

DSC01306Taw Marsh

About five o’clock, the rain stopped, so I could go out and get some more water. After dinner, it looked like the weather might clear.

DSC01307False hope

However, at dusk, it began to rain again. The wind dropped somewhat. Although not heavy, the rain had that light, persistent character to it. Indeed, it rained and rained all night. When I woke, as it was getting light, it was still raining. I wondered how long this could go on for.

DSC01309Misty morning after repositioning the door

It was misty outside and the wind had changed direction, blowing some light rain into the porch of the Trailstar. This was an inconvenience rather than a problem. There were also some drops of moisture on the OookStar from the crown of the flysheet where I hadn’t sealed it properly. As I was laying in my sleeping bag getting exasperated with the rain, miraculously, it stopped. I was able to use the en-suite. Then, as an exercise, I moved the door of the Trailstar.  I was very pleased with this as it took less than a minute to achieve and gave me some protection from the breeze.

IMG_0912Path to Taw Marsh ford

As I prepared breakfast, surprise, surprise, it started raining again. Hey, ho! I packed under the shelter and then took down the Trailstar in the rain. All good practice! It was a short trudge to Taw Marsh ford. The path was flooded in many places. When I arrived at the ford, the water level had risen considerably from a couple of days ago.

IMG_0914Taw Marsh ford

There were four Ten Tors marshals on the opposite banks, one of whom claimed that I wouldn’t get too wet if I ran across. Little did he know about my secret weapon. With a wry smile, I put on my waders and crossed the river. I had a brief chat with one of the marshals who reckoned it had been some of the worst weather he’d been out in for a long time. IMG_0916A last look back

It was a short walk back to Belstone. As I approached the village, guess what? It started to rain again. Never mind, it had been good trial run for the TGO Challenge!


11 thoughts on “Dartmoor daunder part 2”

  1. Ignore Mr S. There will be no shitty weather on the Challenge. It is going to be coast to coast sunshine but with a moderate breeze to stop us overheating and to keep the midges away. Well that is what I will be telling myself until I pull out the Paclite at 9.00am a week on Friday 🙂

    1. I didn’t have much of a schedule to keep, so I wasn’t too bothered. All part of life’s rich tapestry.

  2. Wasn’t it wet?! Good gear testing weather.
    I was out that weekend too. Our l ast TenTors taraining weekend, and wasn’t it a challenge for them! I was alone on Cut Hill when the saturday 3pm deluge started, and then had to walk intoi the wind to reach my next checkpointing tor. (Had the middle of the day free, so walked from Chat Tor to Higher White Tor between my checkpointing duties – I stupidly had forgotten a map, but was fine without (had compass and map on phone in pack but didn’t need them )
    Didn’t get to pitch until dusk.
    Woke up next morning with a small water feature inside the Trailstar – luckily it ran past and out away from my sleeping area!

    Our groups did between 30 and 50+ miles that weekend carrying nearly twice as much weight as I was, so I can’t complain really…

    1. I didn’t have a taxing schedule, so I avoided the worst weather. One the marshals I met gained a water feature under his tent overnight 🙂 He reckoned it had been the worst weather he’d camped in for a while. I was on a slope, so I had no problems. I did wonder if it would ever stop raining! Certainly tested the gear!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s