Well, we are off tomorrow. The weather forecast looks reasonable; mainly dry with the possibility of some light rain on Friday. As it’s not going to be conspicuously cold, I’ve decided to take my PHD Minimus jacket rather than the Yukon. I’m also not going to take the Downmat UL. I think my Nemo Zor should be adequate. It’s lighter and more compact.
Even with a modest amount of extra winter gear, it was a bit of a squeeze to get everything in the Mariposa. I’m wondering whether to look for a higher volume pack like the Berghaus Expedition Light 80. It’s not the weight of winter gear that’s the problem, it’s the bulk. Once you add a proper winter sleeping bag, a thicker down jacket and other bits and pieces, the bulk becomes an issue.
Unfortunately, I’ve been suffering from a cold. Hopefully, it will have cleared up by Wednesday when we have our first full day of walking.