Dartmoor from Ivybridge to Okehampton

It doesn’t seem like a week ago that I was on Dartmoor, but time has flown and I thought I’d better write up my trip. It was a trip of two halves. The first half was a two day walk from Ivybridge to near Okehampton. The next two days were spent on the north moor doing a navigation course with Nigel from New Forest Navigation. Hence I’ll split the report into two parts. This post will outline the walk from Ivybridge to Okehampton.

My original intention had been to walk up the western side of the moor. However, the firing schedules on the Merrivale and Willsworthy ranges put paid to that idea. I opted instead to repeat most of the walk I did last year over Ugborough Moor, Ryder’s Hill, Bellever Tor, up the East Dart River and then a slight variant via Sittaford Tor to Hangingstone Hill to East Okement Farm, where I had arranged to meet Nigel.

The trains worked perfectly and I arrived at Ivybridge at 15.20. Unfortunately, my arrival coincided with a very heavy shower, but I was able to avoid getting wet by using the passenger shelter. After a few minutes, the rain had passed and I was off to find the start of the Two Moors Way. The beauty of Ivybridge is that within about 1/2km you are on the moor with the minimum of tedious road walking. Once the lane had deposited me on the moor proper, I encountered some cows. Fortunately they didn’t seem very interested in me.

On to the moor

As I gained the tramway track, it started to spot with rain. Up on the ridge, the wind was quite strong. My original intention had been to camp at Left Lake, but the rain and the wind made this a rather unattractive option, so I decided to descend on the eastern side of the ridge to repeat my camp of last year, near Glaze Meet. The path next to Scad Brook was decidedly marshy. Just before the wood lot, I tracked back up the East Glaze, hoping to find the spot I used last year to camp. I found a patch of reasonably level ground and pitched the tent.

Camp at Glaze Meet

By the time I’d gathered some water, it was nearly six o’clock. With dusk at seven, I sorted out my dinner and finished my cup of tea as the light was fading. To combat the long evenings, I had brought my Kindle together with a natty little LED light to read by. Although the sun disappeared, a nearly full moon was revealed as the clouds dispersed.

The moon

I was up before dawn, as I knew I had a fairly long day ahead. The weather forecast was reasonable, although the scattered clouds reflecting red from the sun suggested otherwise.

Morning at Glaze Meet

I was packed and away by about 8.30. I was surprised by the number of cattle and sheep on the moor. I followed the brook towards the tramway, gaining the track just after Sharp Tor. By now my boots were quite wet, but encouragingly, my feet were still dry. The tramway provided an easy walk. Down in the valley I could see Piles Copse and made a mental note to camp there, next time I’m on Dartmoor.

Piles Copse

I soon reached Left Lake. Looking at it again, I was pleased that I’d not used it to camp the previous night as it is nowhere near as attractive as Glaze Meet. Just past Left Lake I was passed by a mountain biker. There were good views up to Erme Plains, another place I’d like to explore on a future visit.

Erme Plains

Just beyond Brown Heath, the tramway turns sharply towards the east before snaking back north to Red Lake spoil tip. At this juncture, the Two Moors Way continues east. Fortunately, this junction is marked by a stone sign, otherwise it would be easy to miss. Nonetheless, I managed to go marginally awry crossing the shoulder of the hill and had to trudge over some rough moorland to regain the track. The path down to the clapper bridge crossing the River Avon was steep and a bit boggy, but I managed to get down without mishap.

Clapper bridge over the Avon

By now, the clouds were building and there was an occasional spot of rain. I wondered whether the weather forecast would prove to be optimistic. The walk along the Avon to Huntingdon Cross was very wet and boggy in places, which slowed me down somewhat. When I reached the cross, the clouds were darken and threatening, so I decided to have a (very) early lunch. The wall provided a convenient windbreak and I used a loose stone for a seat.

Towards Snowdon Cairns

My fears about the weather proved unfounded. After a very brief, light shower the weather brightened. The climb up to Pupers Hill was even easier than I had remembered. Just before the summit, the path resumed a northward direction towards Snowdon Cairns. The track between Snowdon Cairns and Ryder’s Hill was very wet and boggy. About half way between, I met a girl who seemed a bit confused as to her whereabouts. She was taking photos of the various landmarks and was using a pencil sketched map to orientate herself. Luckily, the visibility was good.

Ryder’s Hill

From Ryder’s Hill, my route took me across Aune Head. Although I took a bearing, I got a bit confused as to the layout of the land and had to double check with the GPS to find my exact position. I worked my way across the rough ground to the mine workings above O Brook (strange name!). After crossing the clapper bridge, I gained the track leading to Hexworthy. At first the track is good, but as it descended the hillside it was shockingly churned up by cattle in places. I was glad to make it to the bottom.

O Brook

At Hexworthy, I followed the road over the bridge to Huccaby and beyond to the main road. Although only a “B” road, the cars seemed to regard it as a racetrack. Mercifully, it was only a short walk until I was back on the moor ascending Huccaby Tor. Over the past hour or so, the weather had brightened considerably. As I reached a wall, I decided to have a bit of a rest. After a bit of food, I took off my socks to air them on the wall.

Bellever Tor

Suitably refreshed I began the climb up to Bellever Tor. On reaching the tor, I couldn’t be bothered to climb to the absolute top, so I continued down to the forest track. It was 16.30, and there was a degree of urgency as I had a fair way to go until my proposed camping spot. I motored through the forest and on down to Postbridge. I was going to get some refreshments in the post office but my arrival coincided with a coach party, so I decided to give it a miss.


After skirting round a field, the path follows the East Dart River. In places, the path is in very poor condition and I ploughed my way through a combination of heather and mud. My original intention had been to camp at the beehive hut. However, below Hartland Tor there is a kink in the river and an area of grass. This looked too good to pass up so, I pitched slightly short of my intended destination.

Camp below Hartland Tor

The only downside of the site was that there was a herd of ponies with two foals grazing. As I’m used to horses, I wasn’t too bothered, but before retiring to bed, I removed the side guys of the tent to prevent any accidents. The horses came and went during the evening. In the morning there was no sign of them, but the weather had closed in with some light rain. I knew from the forecast that there would be a band of rain about 9.00, so decided to have a late start. Indeed it did rain for about an hour but by 10.00 it had started to clear.

Sittaford Tor on the horizon

After a late start, I rejoined the battle with the East Dart footpath. It was pretty grim until I reached the beehive hut. From there on the path improved but I managed to get a bit enmeshed in the the bog before the Grey Wethers. I decided to give the Grey Wethers a miss and head up to Sittaford Tor. For half the ascent, I followed a pleasant green ride, but for the last few hundred metres, my progress was slowed by a sea of tussocky grass. Using an outcrop on the tor, I sheltered from the wind for a spot of lunch.

View from Sittaford Tor looking east

I texted Nigel with an ETA and then set off to Quintin’s Man. The path was surprisingly good and was a much better way to get to Whitehorse Hill than over Manga Hill. On Quintin’s Man there were some ponies grazing. By now the weather was closing in again. As I started to negotiate the bog between White Horse Hill and Hangingstone Hill it started to rain. Fortunately it was only a shower and it stopped raining as I reached the lee of the hut on Hangingstone Hill.

View north from Hangingstone Hill

From Hangingstone Hill, I followed the track around East Okement Head to below East Mill Tor and then on to East Okement Farm. While the track makes for good progress it is a bit boring and hard underfoot. Just before the farm, I met Nigel coming towards me. Finding a level place to pitch at the farm was a bit of a challenge but I managed to find a spot big enough for the Scarp, next to the farm track. The cool breeze precluded much socialising, so I indulged in a bit of reading, eagerly anticipating the next two days of navigation training.

Camp at East Okement Farm


11 thoughts on “Dartmoor from Ivybridge to Okehampton”

  1. Haven’t ever camped on Dartmoor am I right in saying it’s only real legal place to wildcamp not that bothers me Like lol, apart from a few horses it seems a peaceful place. Did you see many people up there camping.


    1. It is the only place in England and Wales where wild camping is “legal”. Strictly speaking it is not allowed everywhere, only on certain parts of access land. The National Park website has an interactive map http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/visiting/vi-enjoyingdartmoor/camping/camping-map

      I’ve only been there in May and September and not seen many wild camping. Suitable places are not as abundant as you might think from looking at a map as much of the moor is rough and valleys are often boggy. However, there are some superb spots. You just need to look.

  2. Hi Robin, sorry I have not visited your blog for awhile now (or posted anything on mine). Just so busy at work and at the moment no real free time. Nice photos, I think I remember you saying you had a new camera – it certainly takes a good photo. I will be interested in your report on your new boots. Do they have a Gortex lining? I am getting a bit browned off with the linings keep going in my boots and shoes. My Salmon Quests have sprung a leak after a year and the Salmon shoes, forget the model for the moment, leaked after the second outing! Although the Salmon’s are very comfortable, I am seriously thinking of going back to one piece unlined leather boots.

    1. Hi Mark

      Yes they do have a Goretex lining. How long it will last, I don’t know. However, the leather provides a fair amount of protection anyway. They seem to dry very quickly indicating that the water doesn’t penetrate far. I will be writing a full review soon.

      I’m very pleased with the Sony WX 100. For a non expert like me it is ideal and very lightweight.

  3. Good walk Robin. Love that sunrise pic. The camera does well.
    I don’t mind horses but they can get a bit nosey especially when they smell food cooking. I’ve had one very bad experience of them. Maybe the wild ponies are not as bad as there riding school friends. I believe the wild ones are more timid.

  4. This is helpful Robin. I’ll give this closer study. Ideally I would spend four days on the Moor. Have a potter around the north moor from Okehampton and pick up your trail (from Manga Hill perhaps) and head to Ivybridge (where I should get a lift down to the South Hams for New Year).

  5. Manga Hill is very tussocky and wet. The best bet is to follow the walls. The Harvey’s map has some marked. There’s a useful path that follows the foundations of a wall from about 0.5 km south of Watern Tor down to Teighnhead Farm. The drystone wall from near Watern Tor to Quintin’s Man has a style where the path starts. The path over Sittaford Tor is very wet. In fact most of the paths are wet!

  6. Came across your nice write up Robin. I think I might have stumbled across your write ups on tents/tarps a while ago? Nice Scarp by the way…..
    Anyway, your report has fired me up to walk over a couple of days Ivybridge to Okehampton or visa versa next year wit the longer days for a nice little wild camp stroll.
    By the way I’m not far away in Taunton.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s