In contrast with both the Akto and the Laser Comp, the pole arch on the Scarp is quite flexible even if you use the side guys. This is not a huge problem as the critical structure of the tent comes from the PitchLoc system at either end. However, in gusty winds, it can lead to the side guys coming loose with the constant flexing.
I’m constantly looking at tents and thinking: can I improve this? On the way the Ffynnon Llugwy, I had a brainwave. The Vaude Power Lizard uses something they’ve called a “powerframe”, which, as I understand it, is a cord that is attached at various points inside the pole arch and helps to tension the arch.
I wondered if I could mimic the powerframe by threading a length of dyneema cord from the apex of the arch through the loops securing the inner tent and then via the loop inside the door to the foot of the pole. This might help to add a little bit of stiffness to the pole arch. Indeed it did help.
However, I decided it might be better to simplify it further by ending the cord at the loop securing the inner tent just above the door zip (see above). This gives two “fixed points” (one either side of the pole arch) rather than only one at the apex. It was definitely better. To achieve a good level of tension, I used a linelok. At the base of the pole, the cord is secured to a small loop on the grosgrain the connects the two pole ends (see below).
The picture below shows the full system.
It definitely helps to stiffen the pole arch, although it still retains some level of flexibility. If I were re-designing the Scarp, I’d have two guying points on either side, like the Akto, but it’s difficult to retrofit a loop to the pole arch to achieve this, so this is the next best thing. If you don’t like it, it’s easy to reverse.
So there you are, yet another mod to my Scarp!