I don’t understand why Montane insist on producing their excellent windshirts/jackets with elastic cuffs rather than adjustable ones. I’ve found elastic cuffs restrict venting. Other than insulating garments, I much prefer adjustable cuffs. I could use my Fuera Pull-on as a windshirt instead, but it is a lot heavier than my Litespeed.
As I have a slightly aged Litepseed, I decided to see whether I could adapt the sleeves with Velcro closures. As you might have gathered from my repairs on my Scarp, I’m not exactly an ace with a needle and thread. The first step was to cut off the elasticated cuffs. This was not quite as straightforward as I thought. The gathering in the material meant a slightly jagged finish. The next hurdle was to make a seam on the cuff. Instead of sewing, I decided to use some silicone sealant (McNett) to glue a seam. This was a bit messy, but a lot easier and neater than sewing.
The second step was sewing the “hooked” velcro onto a vertical sleeve seam. Before attaching to the sleeve, I folded over one end and secured with a few stitches to have a tab to pull on. Attaching the other end to the sleeve was easy. Next I sewed two pieces of the “fluffy” velcro onto the cuff. One secures the matching tab with the sleeve fully opened. The other secures it with the cuff tightened around the wrist.
Hey presto! I now have a Lightspeed jacket with adjustable cuffs. The sewing is not that neat, but it’s not visible. Coupled with a fleece, I reckon this will be quite a versatile combination. The extra venting option of opening the cuffs, especially going uphill, ought to make the Litespeed a lot more comfortable. If I was any good at sewing, I’d like to add a couple of short venting pit zips, but I think that’s beyond me! Another benefit is that the jacket is now 5g lighter. Pictures below should be fairly self-explanatory.