Yesterday was the first sunny Saturday for ages. Having made so many modifications to my Scarp, I wanted to see how they worked. I first pitched the Scarp without crossing poles. Compared with the Laser Competition and Akto, I think it is easier to pitch and to get good tension on the flysheet. There is considerable strain on the end pegging points, so using good, chunky pegs, like the ones supplied is a good idea. Other than stony ground, I don’t think pins would be secure enough.
I was very pleased with the new end guying arrangement. It is definitely worth making the guys a bit longer, even if you don’t copy the centre guy arrangement.
The next thing was to insert the crossing poles. Again, this was easy. It also illustrated the wisdom of separating the end guys from the eyelet securing the pole. It makes it much easier to adjust. In the picture below you can also see the end venting system, which works really well and is much more elegant than the original system.
With crossing poles
The Akto footprint is a surprisingly good fit. It covers one porch, while leaving the other bare. I like this arrangement as it gives extra dry storage space in one porch, but the other can be used for wet or dirty items such as boots. In the picture, you can clearly see the threshold cord. If there is one mod you should consider doing, this is it. It takes away the tension from the door hem. I can’t understand why tent manufacturers don’t do this as a matter of course. Only the Akto has this feature.
Open door with tent footprint
Naturally I needed to get inside. It feels very light and roomy. The ends are not claustrophobic like the Akto and particularly the Laser Comp.
Inside with new tent pocket
While I was moving around inside, one of the loops securing the inner to the outer snapped. This was my fault in that the silnylon tent floor was slipping against the footprint. As I was pitched on a slope, this put undue strain on the uphill loops. Whoops!
After I took down the tent, it was an easy job to sew the loop back together. There is very little “give” on these attachments so I made a small loop of shock cord to make the inner/outer attachment a bit more flexible
It was obvious that I needed to prevent the tent groundsheet from slipping on the footprint. Taking an idea from Franco, I used some seam sealant to make some gripper spots on the underside of the groundsheet. Hopefully this will prevent a reoccurrence of the problem.
Overall, I’m very pleased with the Scarp. I think the mods that I’ve made improve the tent. It’s very spacious for one. Compared with both the Akto and the Laser Comp, it’s easier to pitch and looks as though it will be more solid in high winds. I think there are also a number of changes that could be made to the design, which would improve it even more, but I’ll save that for another post.