In between ripping CDs (I’m up to “N”), I found some time yesterday afternoon to continue my program of modifications for my Scarp 1. The first job to do was to seal the seams. I did have some silicone sealant from Henry, but decided to use some McNett Silnet silicone sealant (purchased from Cotswold, but available in most outdoors shops). I massively overestimated the amount I would use by buying two tubes and only needing half a tube!
1) Seam sealing. Before starting, I unhooked the inner tent from the roof of the outer. Using the sealant straight from the tube on to the seams and spreading with the small brush provided is extremely easy and not too messy. I sealed the seams around the roof vents, the main side seams and the reinforcing discs. Having the crossing poles made it easy to do in the garage rather than outside, although it was difficult to see the clear sealant at times. In all, it took about an hour to do. (Addendum: I sealed the seams on the inside, as I didn’t want to spoil the outside appearance of the fly. Technically, sealing the ouside would be a better option to stop rain soaking the threads)
2) New end guy system. The second job was to rearrange the guys at the end of the tent. The picture below gives some idea of how I’ve changed them. It looks slightly messy but it is a lot more elegant in the flesh.
The first thing was to separate the eyelets securing the pole ends, giving them a separate cord, terminating at the bottom corner linelok. The end guy is tied to the loop that secures the bottom corner linelok and threaded through the top corner linelok. Both the corner guy and the pole eyelet can now be adjusted independently. There is a minor disadvantage to this arrangement as it makes the tent slightly less taut when it is free-standing, but it should be a lot better when it’s pegged out for real. I also made the guys longer so they pull at the same angle as the seam on the fly sheet.
The next job was to change the centre guy so that it could use the two outer pegs rather than needing its own, similar to the arrangement on the Akto. Hopefully the picture is reasonably self-explanatory. I’ve continued to use the centre linelok to give some more adjustability but attached a ring for the guys going to either side. There are lineloks on either side to enable further adjustment if required. It’s quite a neat system. Unfortunately, the picture makes it look more complicated than it really is.
3) Side guys. The next job was guys on either side of the main pole arch. Those were straightforward. I’ve used “glow in the dark” lineloks rather than black (I replaced those in the picture). For cord I used the Kelty Triptease line that Tarptent sell. It is a slightly different colour to the cord supplied with the tent. It’s more orange than yellow. As a perfectionist, this meant changing the zip pulls on the inner tent doors! Overall, I used slightly more than one pack of cord (50 feet), although I’ve been quite generous on the length of the guys. Hopefully that all makes sense.