Also in the post today was a letter from Parcel Force saying that my Scarp was at the depot and that I needed to pay VAT and a handling charge (£29.25). I tried to pay online but it didn’t work so I decided to drive to the depot to pick it up in person, given the hassles I had recently suffered at the hands of City Link.
Here it is in the box. I ordered the additional crossing poles, a couple of lengths of guy line and a Tyvek groundsheet protector, the latter, more out of interest than anything. The goundsheet protector looks like a large sheet of paper. I might use it on camp sites, but I doubt I’ll bother elsewhere.
Here’s the Scarp (right) next to my Laser Comp. The Scarp is slightly longer but slightly thinner.
As it was raining and getting dark, I pitched it in the garage (we have a big garage!). Even with the crossing poles it looks reasonably taut.
I immediately spotted a mod I wanted to make. There are now end zips to aid ventilation. Baz commented that they could come open under stress, so I put a cord lock on the elastic. Pull tight and they won’t open under stress. I used the cord locks that came with my Mariposa BTW.
Inside is very spacious, with better head room at each end than the Comp or the Akto.
I already have my eyes on changing the guying system at each end of the tent, which I think I can improve and have one less peg. I’m not sure I like the tie back on the inner tent, so that’s a candidate for another mod. The two pockets are hardly worth having, so that’s another mod. That’s enough for the moment, but there will be some hotrodding to do in the spring.
Tent and arch pole 1,303g, tent pegs 87g, crossing poles 345g. Basic setup 1,390g, full monty 1,735g.
Workmanship looks good. It’s a bit of a halfway house between a Comp and an Akto. It looks really solid. Unfortunately it’s unlikley I’ll get out until April, but if we get a dry spell, I’ll pitch it in the garden and have a play.