OK, this is getting sad. I’ve got a week’s holiday but we’re staying at home. This morning I popped down to the Post Office to return my Exos 58; I’ll keep you in touch with progress. I also had some brain waves to try on the Laser Competition. So stand by for some more tweaks.
I was reading Geoff’s account of his latest trip and he mentioned how difficult it is to use the tensioners at the end of the inner when they are at the end of their travel. Cue lateral thinking. Why not attach a loop so they are easier to pull? Hey presto! I have some thin Dyneema cord (black and white) that I bought from Bob and Rose as emergency cord. It was thin enough to thread through the loop on the tape, making tensioning much easier, picture below, problem solved.
There are no real venting options on the Comp. While I didn’t have much problem with condensation recently, as it was reasonably windy, one thing I thought about was using a longer end pole. It just so happens that I have the carbon stays that came with the Mariposa (I now use flexible nylon stays) and they seemed worth experimenting with. For reference they are very slightly lighter than the existing Comp end poles (10g vs. 11g) and 6cms longer at 50cm. The theory behind using these is to lift the flysheet a bit higher so breezes can get underneath the flysheet. As you can see it’s quite effective.
However, there is a drawback; they produce quite a lot of tension at the top of the pole as this shows, so I’m not so sure it’s a good idea.
I replaced the old tent poles. Then I had a brain wave. Why not use one of the ubiquitous Alpkit clippers on the guy tie out so that the end tent rubber can be attached, lifting the bottom of the flysheet. This seems like a more elegant solution.
From the end.
I can’t tell you whether it is effective or not, but it should provide some decent ventilation.
The next tweak was to the pole hood adjustment that I’ve made with the line-loks. The one big drawback to this arrangement is that the lines often get twisted and it can take a couple of attempts to get the cords positioned correctly. The solution is to use more Alpkit clippers so the lines are secured to these rather than the tape loops provided as shown below. If they become twisted, it’s easy to remove them from the clipper and untwist them. I’ve used them on both sides of the tent. I’ve now used all the Aplkit clippers, so I might have to order some more!
The last mod to tell you about is actually one that I did a little while ago. I’ve put some reflective tape around the pole ends, so the tent is easier to spot in the dark with a torch. You can see the tape at the top of the picture above.
I’ve also thought of a way to mimic the pole guy line arrangement of the Akto, but that will have to wait another day.