On Sunday afternoon, I took the Laser Competition into the back garden to see if I could master pitching it and to do a few modifications. My first idea was to replace all the guy lines with yellow dyneema and glow in the dark line-loks (sourced from Bob and Rose). I’ve decided that the pole hood is a waste of time so I attached the side guy lines to the loops for the hood. The two end guys have been made longer so that the roof can be made reasonably taught.
My next trick was to add two guy lines at the apex to make it more stable. I angled them slightly diagonally, so they could be a bit shorter. This gives a bit of longitudinal stability (see first two pictures). I replaced the fixed length of cord that attaches to the base of the short pole and the end of the inner tent with a length with a line-lok, so it is now adjustable and I can double it up with the peg for the outer tent (see picture on far right), which was not possible before.
My next modification was to tie the four corner shock cords for the inner tent to the appropriate fabric loop on the outer tent. This gets round the need to peg both the inner and the outer tent (don’t know why TN didn’t do this in the first place). This makes the pitching much simpler. I’ve also added some cord loops on the outer tent pegging points so that I have the option of either using the existing shock cord or making the tent more stable with non-shock cord loops.
I had a look at whether I should seam seal the pole arch but decided that it probably didn’t need it. I’m having a think about whether to make a narrow cover for the zip, but it’s so tight against the pole, it could be difficult. As you can see from the pictures, the pitch is much better than my inept attempt in the Lake District. It is still likely to flap in strong wind, but feels a lot more stable. I don’t think it will ever be as rock solid as the Akto, which is probably why so many Akto owners stay loyal. I’ve got another couple of ideas for modifications, that I’ll try another time.